ITALIAN BANKING SECTOR AND MACROECONOMIC RISK
Italian Banking Sector and Macroeconomic Risk
– Gimede Gigante – Professor, Bocconi University
– Giovanni Bossi – Former CEO, Banca IFIS
– Maria Teresa Iardella – MD and Head of CIB and Debt Platform, Mediobanca
– Rodolfo Pambianco – Academic Fellow, Bocconi University
The initiative deals with the current situation of the Italian banking sector and the macroeconomic risk of the country.
The choice of this topic is justified by the fact that Italian bank shares have suffered a heavy decline recently, bringing the sector to its weakest level in almost two years amid deepening worries over the country’s debt.
And this fall has followed ructions for the country’s sovereign debt: yields have risen sharply and the spread against German Bunds has reached levels not seen since the latter part of the eurozone debt crisis in 2013.
POINTS OF DISCUSSION
1. Recent developments in the Italian banking sector
2. Macroeconomic risk
3. Impact on Italian economic activity and investor sentiment
4. Possible solutions
Initiative funded with Bocconi contributions